Bankruptcy court accepts Diocese of Syracuse's $176 million abuse settlement
http://www.myspiritfm.com/News?blogid=Catholic-News&view=post&articleid=287864&link=1&fldKeywords=&fldAuthor=&fldTopic=0
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Syracuse, New York, where a federal court accepted the diocese's $176 million settlement plan. / Credit: debra millet/ShutterstockCNA Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 12:00 pm (CNA).A federal bankruptcy court has accepted the Diocese of Syracuse, New York's massive $176 million abuse settlement plan, Bishop Douglas Lucia said this week.The decision comes after a yearslong negotiation process between the diocese and victims of clergy abuse as well as between the diocese and insurers that will pay into the settlement fund.Lucia said in an Aug. 27 letter that the diocese will contribute $100 million to the fund, as diocesan leaders first announced in 2023.Fifty million dollars will come from the diocese itself, with $45 million from parishes and $5 million from "other Catholic entities" associated with the Syracuse Diocese.The remaining $76 million will be contributed by diocesan insurance companies, the bishop said.Further "nonmonetary items" in...
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Syracuse, New York, where a federal court accepted the diocese's $176 million settlement plan. / Credit: debra millet/Shutterstock
CNA Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 12:00 pm (CNA).
A federal bankruptcy court has accepted the Diocese of Syracuse, New York's massive $176 million abuse settlement plan, Bishop Douglas Lucia said this week.
The decision comes after a yearslong negotiation process between the diocese and victims of clergy abuse as well as between the diocese and insurers that will pay into the settlement fund.
Lucia said in an Aug. 27 letter that the diocese will contribute $100 million to the fund, as diocesan leaders first announced in 2023.
Fifty million dollars will come from the diocese itself, with $45 million from parishes and $5 million from "other Catholic entities" associated with the Syracuse Diocese.
The remaining $76 million will be contributed by diocesan insurance companies, the bishop said.
Further "nonmonetary items" in the agreement include provisions such as strengthening diocesan safe environment policies.
The diocese initiated the bankruptcy process in 2020. In his letter, Lucia thanked his fellow Catholics "who throughout these five years have prayed for this resolution and for those whose hearts were broken by the betrayal that came at the hands of Church members."
"Together I now pray we will grow ever more as the body of Christ in this part of the world community," he said.
The Syracuse decision comes amid a wave of high-value abuse settlement payouts from U.S. dioceses, including throughout New York.
Abuse victims in New York last month agreed to a massive settlement from the Diocese of Rochester, which is set to pay $246 million to survivors of clergy abuse there.
The Diocese of Buffalo, New York, earlier this year agreed to pay out a $150 million sum as part of its own abuse settlement.
The largest diocesan-level bankruptcy settlement in U.S. history thus far has been from the Diocese of Rockville Centre — also in New York — which last year agreed to pay $323 million to abuse victims.
The largest Church abuse payout total in U.S. history thus far has been at the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, which last year agreed to a near-$1 billion payment to abuse victims.
Full Article
http://www.myspiritfm.com/News?blogid=Catholic-News&url=10&view=post&articleid=287870&link=1&fldKeywords=&fldAuthor=&fldTopic=0
Sabrina Steffans displays her newly decorated school parking space. / Credit: Courtesy of First Liberty InstituteCNA Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 15:53 pm (CNA).A rising senior at a high school in Grand Island, New York, Sabrina Steffans, is now allowed to decorate her school parking space with Christian messages after her high school reversed course after initially rejecting her faith-based artwork.Grand Island High School allows seniors to paint their parking spots "to encourage students to express themselves through positive artwork, to beautify the campus, to build school spirit, and to create a new and exciting radiation to support senior class activities and events."When Steffans, a Christian who leads a Bible club at her school, proposed three drawings for her parking space, the school rejected the first two, which had Christian themes.Steffans said the school approved the third design, "which had no Bible verses, no crosses, or anything."Steffans said after the school rejected...
http://www.myspiritfm.com/News?blogid=Catholic-News&url=10&view=post&articleid=287869&link=1&fldKeywords=&fldAuthor=&fldTopic=0
The major archbishop of the Syro-Malabar Church, Raphael Thattil. / Credit: Syro-Malabar ChurchACI Prensa Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 16:23 pm (CNA).The Holy See Press Office has published a series of decisions by Pope Leo XIV to bring about unity in the Syro-Malabar Church of India, which has been at serious risk of schism in recent years due to liturgical disputes.The Syro-Malabar Church is one of the 23 Eastern Churches in full communion with the bishop of Rome and follows the Chaldean liturgical tradition. It is the largest Eastern Church after the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, and its origins date back to the preaching of St. Thomas the Apostle.Since 1999, the Church has undergone a long period of division as a result of liturgical reforms that were later confirmed by the synod of the Syro-Malabar Church in 2021.In July, Pope Leo XIV terminated the 2023 appointment of Archbishop Cyril Vasil' as papal delegate to the Syro-Malabar Church after an internal agreement was reached ...
http://www.myspiritfm.com/News?blogid=Catholic-News&url=10&view=post&articleid=287865&link=1&fldKeywords=&fldAuthor=&fldTopic=0
People attend a vigil following a mass shooting at Annunciation Catholic School on Aug. 27, 2025, in Minneapolis. / Credit: Stephen Maturen/Getty ImagesCNA Staff, Aug 28, 2025 / 11:30 am (CNA).The leaders of the Minneapolis Catholic school where two children were shot and killed during a mass shooting incident on Wednesday say the school will remain closed for the time being as the community continues to deal with the "unfathomable" deadly incident.The shooting took place during the all-school Mass at Annunciation Church in Minneapolis on Aug. 27. The gunman, identified as 23-year-old Robin Westman, born Robert Westman, shot through the church's stained-glass windows with a rifle, killing the two children and injuring nearly 20 children and adults before taking his own life.The shooting generated global headlines and drew prayers and support from leaders including Pope Leo XIV and President Donald Trump.In a Facebook post on Wednesday evening, Annunciation Catholic School Princ...