Article Archive
Please click below to view any of the articles in our archive.
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- The 37-year-old man killed by Baton Rouge police was a good-humored person nicknamed "Big Boy" who was orphaned young, loved children and earned a living selling CDs of music downloaded from the internet, said family and friends who knew him....
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- The Latest on the police shooting of a Baton Rouge man (all times local):...
Yet, despite my words they continue to....
Fargo, N.D., Jul 6, 2016 / 03:06 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The Homeless Jesus statue is at it again.Since its installation in front of First Lutheran Church in downtown Fargo, N.D. last month, emergency crews have responded at least twice to calls from concerned residents who thought the statue was a real person.The Fargo Fire Department told a local news station that it treats every call as an emergency, even if they think they are being sent to the statue.“It’s not a common call. It just shows we have concerned citizens who are willing to make the call,” Fargo police Sgt. Kevin Pallas told local news station WDAY Channel 6. “That’s encouraging.”The bronze statue, created by sculptor Tim Schmalz, depicts Jesus as a homeless man lying on a park bench, covered in a blanket, with the crucifixion wounds on his feet. “Homeless Jesus” is based on the “Judgment of the Nations” scene from Matthew 25 and signifies Christ in “the m...
London, England, Jul 6, 2016 / 03:10 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Cardinal Robert Sarah on Tuesday appealed to priests throughout the world to begin saying Mass facing the same direction as the faithful, suggesting that the season of Advent would be an opportune time to do so.“I believe that it is very important that we return as soon as possible to a common orientation, of priests and the faithful turned together in the same direction – Eastwards or at least towards the apse – to the Lord who comes, in those parts of the liturgical rites when we are addressing God,” the prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship said July 5 during his opening address at the Sacra Liturgia conference being held in London.“Dear Fathers, I ask you to implement this practice wherever possible, with prudence and with the necessary catechesis, certainly, but also with a pastor’s confidence that this is something good for the Church, something good for our people. Your own ...
IMAGE: CNS/Debbie HillBy Judith SudilovskyBETHLEHEM, West Bank (CNS) -- AnItalian team has completed restoration of Crusader-era mosaics in the Church ofthe Nativity, but the mosaics will only be unveiled publicly after work onlighting, electricity and the fire alarm system is also finished.The work involved removing thelayers of centuries-worth of soot and dirt -- a result of the smoke of candleslit by pilgrims coming to venerate the site traditionally believed to be thebirthplace of Jesus -- from about 1.55 million tiny mosaic pieces that werereviewed and restored. "I think all the churcheswant to save this church because here Jesus was born," said GiammarcoPiacenti, CEO of Piacenti restoration center, which began work on the churchstarting with the rotting wooden roof in April 2013. "It is important forall Christianity. For my professional life, this occasion is incredible." Only 1,400 square feet ofmosaics remain from the original 21,528 square feet that adorned the wall, henot...
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Fear and uncertainty about the global economy are leading investors to embrace the relative safety of U.S. government debt and slashing yields to record lows....
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Justice Department's investigation into Hillary Clinton's email setup has been formally closed without any criminal charges, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Wednesday....
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- In a swift move by authorities to keep tensions from boiling over, the U.S. Justice Department launched a civil rights investigation Wednesday into the video-recorded killing of a black man who was shot as he scuffled with two white police officers on the pavement outside a convenience store....
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama scrapped plans Wednesday to cut American forces in Afghanistan by half before leaving office, a dispiriting blow to his hopes of extricating the U.S. after 15 years of fighting. He said he'll leave 8,400 troops to address the country's "precarious" security situation....